How to make Scrumptious Chocolate Crepes – Ahh. Crepes and chocolate. A duo as well-known and legendary as Batman and Robin, peanut butter and jelly, and teenagers and hormones.
Except most of the time when you see this combo paired together, it is a normal crepe with a chocolate sauce like Nutella used in the filling.
NORMAL CHOCOLATE CREPE
But here, we are going to show you how to combine the two to make chocolate-flavored crepes and expand the possibilities of what you can do with your crepes!
Chocolate crepe batter is fantastic and a must for your recipe book for a number of different reasons.
1. You can use entirely healthy fillings like fruit, nuts and seeds, yogurt, etc., and still, have a great chocolate flavor from the crepe itself creating a healthy and delicious meal.
Because the crepe is chocolate, you don’t feel as inclined to use a chocolate sauce unlike with most other crepes.
2. Of course you still can use a chocolate sauce on a chocolate crepe for double chocolatey goodness, but you can experiment with other fillings such as:
-peanut butter mousse
-fresh fruit and cream.
Fillings that are great on regular crepes, but could be even better on chocolate crepes. Guess you will have to find out!
3. And who doesn’t love chocolate?? The more chocolate the better! Need I go on?
Excited yet? Perfect! Let’s get started!
First things first, we need to know the ingredients.
The ingredients for chocolate crepes are pretty simple, start with our normal crepe recipe, subtract a little flour and add cocoa powder and sugar.
Here is what we found to be the tastiest and have the best consistency:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 and 1/3 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
CHOCOLATE CREPE BATTER INGREDIENTS
The crepe batter will be enough to make between 6-10 crepes depending on your crepe size fancy.
1. Using a blender (whisk or hand mixer will also work), blend the milk, eggs, and vanilla for about 30 seconds on high until the batter is well mixed.
MAKING CHOCOLATE CREPE BATTER
Once the liquid ingredients are mixed in, you can begin to add in the dry ingredients. We have found that mixing the liquid ingredients first and then incorporating the dry ingredients is the most effective way to avoid clumps in your batter and give that nice, smooth consistency.
CHOCOLATE CREPE BATTER WITHOUT DRY INGREDIENTS
The way we like to add in the dry ingredients is by keeping the blender on at a very low speed, taking the lid off, and slowly adding the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt one at a time.
If that sounds like a gamble you aren’t willing to take, then feel free to add them all together and just blend for a little longer.
CHOCOLATE CREPES -ADDING THE FLOUR
If you are using a whisk or hand mixer, continue to mix while individually adding in your dry ingredients.
After the dry ingredients have been added in, we finally mix in the melted butter the same way we did with the dry ingredients.
CHOCOLATE CREPES – ADDING THE BUTTER
An important thing to note is that you don’t want to add in searing hot, freshly melted butter because that can risk cooking your eggs and that’s just nasty! So let the butter cool a little before adding it in which is why we like to add it last.
2. Once blended, check for excess flour and cocoa powder on sides of blender or bowl, scrape down and blend once more until all ingredients are mixed in. No man gets left behind!
SCRAPING THE BATTER
3. The third step, now that your batter is a creamy, chocolatey dream, is to refrigerate the batter for 15-30 minutes. This isn’t absolutely essential but it’s kind of like how showering often isn’t “technically” essential for survival, just highly recommended to get the best results.
4. With your batter now chilling, about 2-3 minutes before you plan to take the batter out of the fridge to cook, start to heat up the CrepePro on medium/low heat. This ensures evenly cooked crepes.
You will know that the CrepePro is ready to be cooked when you splash a tiny amount of water on the pan and it sizzles and dances before evaporating. If it immediately evaporated then it is too hot and if it doesn’t sizzle it is too cold.
5. Batter chilled and CrepePro heated, you’re ready for chocolate crepes baby!
Start by adding a little nonstick cooking oil like canola, vegetable, olive, etc. on the surface of your pan.
You shouldn’t need to add oil to the pan more than 2-3 times while cooking your batch, sometimes simply adding oil before the first crepe is all you will need! Too much oil can gunk up the pan and leave a sticky residue you don’t want.
6. Now, pour about 1/3 – 1/2 c of batter into the middle of the CrepePro and spin crepe with a T-handle/batter spreader.
Spinning crepes as elegantly as they do in France can take some practice and If you need additional help spinning your crepe, check out our article here.
But the trick is to drag the batter across the pan and use your full arm instead of just your wrist.
MAKING CHOCOLATE CREPES ON THE CREPEPRO
7. Let crepes cook for 30 seconds-1 minute, or until bubbles can be seen all around the edges of the crepe and a few in middle.
CHOCOLATE CREPE READY TO FLIP
Use the spatula to flip the crepe and cook for just about 30 seconds more on another side. The second side doesn’t need to be cooked for very long at all.
Flipping the crepe can sometimes be a little tricky as well and you will probably tear your first crepe. It happens to the best of us! Even us sometimes!
To do this, take the spatula and gently maneuver it under one side of the crepe, once under, slowly slide or rotate the spatula in your hand to get to the center of the crepe.
FLIPPING CHOCOLATE CREPE ON THE CREPEPRO
Once the spatula is in the center of the crepe, you should be able to lift and flip the crepe with ease.
If that isn’t the case and you feel some resistance, carefully slide the spatula out from under the crepe, and then using the spatula, peel up and separate the parts of the crepe that are still stuck to the pan.
Once the crepe is loose, flipping the crepe should be no problem!
8. You did it! You just made your first chocolate crepe! Take a second to eat and enjoy it or just keep on cooking!
Making crepes on the CrepePro can be a little addicting so we get it if you want to keep cooking! If you get too hooked on the thrill of crepeing on the CrepePro then we have a support group that meets twice a week…?
Just make sure to clean off the excess batter on your batter spreader before you start round 2 so you don’t tear your new crepe!
Once your stack of crepes is ready, you can let the creativity begin!
FILLING YOUR CREPES
Nearly any filling that you would put in a regular crepe can also be used in a chocolate crepe. Even chocolate chocolate! Nothing wrong with that.
But here we just want to quickly highlight a couple of our favorite options to help you get the ball rolling.
1. Chocolate Crepe Cake
CHOCOLATE CREPE CAKE
By now you must have seen a crepe cake because their fascinating and satisfying creation is taking social media by storm but using chocolate crepes to make your crepe cake is a great choice!
Here we just used a white, vanilla frosting in between each chocolate crepe layer and then added some chocolate shavings on top for the extra effect and chocolateyness.
2. Vanilla Ice Cream Crepe
CHOCOLATE CREPE WITH VANILLA ICE CREAM FILLING
This crepe takes its inspiration from the ever-popular brownies and ice-cream dessert. Just imagine your ice cream sundae completely encompassed in the brownie and that’s what you have here!
3. The Old Classic Crepe with a Chocolate Twist
CHOCOLATE CREPES AND BERRIES
We are taking you back to the classics only this time with a chocolate crepe instead of a normal one. Only meant for the real chocolatiers of this world, we fill these crepes with diced, strawberries, raspberries, and little Nutella! If that’s a little too much chocolate for you, swap the Nutella for some whipped cream! Yum!
Thanks so much for following us and reading our content! You are the reason we do what we do and nothing makes us happier than to see that our content has provided you and your family some value! Especially if that value is in family memories!
Now if this has provided you with value and you enjoy what we do, please share us and our message with others! Share this post! Share your crepe creations! That is how we grow and can keep providing this great content for you.
So until next time, keep crepeing you, beautiful souls!