Crepes are the Swiss army knife of the food world
For dinner you can have ham and gruyere cheese crepes and then without blinking an eye take the same crepes, fill them with Nutella and fruit and now you have dessert.
There really aren’t many other food items that can do what crepes can do. And once you take into account how easy the batter is to make, they really should be a go-to meal for your family.
The only tricky part when it comes to crepes is cooking them properly and in order to do that you need to make sure you have the right tools.
Crepe makers come in 3 different models or designs. You have your typical frying pan style crepe pan
Traditional crepe makers which can be gas or electric-powered
And finally the cordless crepe makers.
In this quick article, we want to break down the advantages and disadvantages of each to help you find the best crepe maker for your kitchen!
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Each Crepe Maker?
Frying Pan Style Crepe Pan
- Lightweight and maneuverable
- Heat up quickly
- Ease of transportation
- Dishwasher safe
- Smaller cooking surface
- Can be difficult to get crepes to be the right shape and size
- Flipping the crepe or removing it from the pan can be a hassle
- Slower crepe cooking process
Traditional Style Crepe Makers
- Large cooking surface
- Even and controlled heating
- Customize crepe size and thickness
- Designed specifically for crepes
- Bulky and difficult to store
- Requires additional tools
- Multi-step cleaning and maintenance process
- Can be very expensive
Cordless Electric Crepe Makers
- Quick and easy to use
- Nonstick cooking surface
- Lightweight and transportable
- Crepes produced are small and brittle
- Little functionality besides crepes
- Known to break down more frequently over time
- Difficult to keep clean and maintain
Which Crepe Maker is Best?
It depends on what your goals are. If you are an avid crepe maker and are willing to invest a little more to get a high-quality unit then the traditional crepe makers are the way to go.
If you are more of an occasional crepe maker and would prefer to have more functionality then a frying pan style pan might be better for you.
Or if you are just looking for the simplest option then the cordless electric makers can be a great fit.
4th Type of Crepe Maker?
Another fantastic crepe maker option is our very own CrepePro.
These pans are a hybrid between the traditional crepe makes and the frying style pans taking the advantages and some of the disadvantages from both to create a new style of crepe pan!
To learn more about these crepe makers click the link below
If you’re looking for some additional resources to help you make a decision here is a video that we made analyzing 5 different crepe makers to help point you in the right direction.